If you’ve landed on this page, it’s because you’re at least curious about working with an author coach. But if you’re like most authors, you are wondering exactly what an author coach can do for you and how they work with authors. That’s why I’ve created this page – so I can share with you exactly what to expect before you even book your first FREE consultation with me.
Did you know that 81% of Americans (about 260 million people) feel they have a book in their mind they’d love to write? Did you also know that only 2% of those people (about 5.1 million) have actually taken the initiative to write that book? And YOU are one of those people! What does that mean? That means you are special. It means that you’re amongst a tiny percentage of the population who doesn’t only dream of writing a book but has taken the leap to put pen to paper and start the process of making your dream a reality.
But since I’m also an author, I know that following your dream is not a smooth, seamless journey. There are bumps and potholes along the way that trip you up and sometimes cause major roadblocks (writers’ block). You struggle with all sorts of issues and insecurities, such as:
- Feeling like you’re not good enough to write a book
- Struggling with all those pesky writing rules
- Suffering from imposter syndrome
- Thinking you don’t know what you’re doing
- Worrying that no one will buy your books
- Freaking out about how to publish and/or market your book
If you’ve ever experienced any of these feelings, you’re in the right place. I can help you conquer your fears and insecurities. Not only that, I have years of experience on both sides of the publishing fence (both as an author and working for publishers and agents). So I can help you along every step of the way from that first little nugget of a story idea through turning it into a full-length novel to publishing it to marketing it. In addition to the editing services I offer, I am also an author coach, and I’m here to help you.
But most authors aren’t familiar with author coaching and what a coach can do for you. That’s why I’ve put together this page. So you can learn everything I can do for you and what it’s like to work with an author coach. Let’s start with the basics.
What does an author coach do?
I will help guide you through the entire writing process, from beginning to end. I will walk with you from the first seed of an idea all the way through the process of writing your book to publishing to even marketing your novel. I will help you achieve your writing goals, the same way a tennis coach would help a tennis player not only learn how to play the game but to win tennis matches, maybe even Wimbledon. I’ll help you every step of the way, including helping you pick the best idea for your book and help you transform that idea into a novel people will want to buy, read, and share with their friends.
I can provide assistance with all of the following and then some:
- Identify your ideal reader
- Help you outline your novel and provide advice on the structure of your novel
- Identify story gaps and plot holes you need to fix
- Offer feedback on your writing style
- Create a project plan for your book
- Help you make decisions about book cover designers, publishing platforms, editors, and more
Who needs an author coach?
Everyone who wants to write a book, is writing a book, or has already written a book needs an author coach. Think of it this way:
- If you’re a new and aspiring author, you need an author coach.
- If you’re written your book already, and you know you have room to improve, you need an author coach.
- If you’re a seasoned author with many titles under your belt, but you’re not seeing the sales you would love to see, you need an author coach.
The right author coach at the right time is the right decision. It’s never a bad idea.
What to expect when you work with me
- I’ll ask your ideas for your book and why you like each one.
- I’ll ask your writing goals.
- I’ll ask why you want to write this novel.
- I’ll give you homework assignments to improve your writing
- I’ll provide feedback on each writing assignment.
- I’ll give you tips and pointers to help improve your writing
- I’ll provide you with downloadable resources, worksheets, and other materials.
You’ll have regular strategy sessions with me, depending on the agreement/plan I created for you. We’ll “meet” every week, two weeks, or once a month by either phone or video chat. Some people are not comfortable with video, which is fine, though that’s the way I prefer to work. But some people are not comfortable with talking on the phone, which is fine, too. But you do have to pick one way or the other, as there’s no way this can work without some one-on-one human contact.
Something else to consider
Experienced writers need coaches as much as newbie authors. Think of it this way, sticking with the tennis analogy, Serena Williams is by far one of the BEST tennis players around, right? She still has a coach to help sharpen her skills, continue improving, and prepare for each match she faces. Working with an author coach is no different. I will help you continue to improve your skills with each book you write and help you achieve your writing goals (to be a bestseller, award-winner, etc.). And don’t forget…each book is different. So you’ll need a coach to help you with the nuances of every story you write.
What I won’t do:
- I won’t write your book for you.
- I won’t tell you to change your vision.
- I won’t judge your abilities or think badly of you based on what you do or don’t know.
- I won’t try to influence you to write a different book, genre, or category.
- I won’t be harsh or critical of you, regardless of your skill level.
- I won’t share anything we discuss with anyone else.
Finally, before you schedule your FREE initial consultation with me, be sure you’ve read my BIO so you know the basics about me and my background before we get started. Of course, I’ll answer any questions you have during the consultation. I’m an open book. Ask me anything.
Now that I’ve walked you through the who, what, why, and how of working with an author coach, it’s time to schedule your FREE initial consultation.
I look forward to working with each and every one of you, and I can’t wait to help you write your best book!